- Legislators suggest more changes to juvenile prison security
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Security changes at the Department of Juvenile Justice's main prison after a February riot include searching inmates head-to-toe when their visitors leave and allowing its police force to carry pepper spray, agency spokesman Patrick Montgomery said Wednesday.
- The Latest: Forecasters issue hurricane warning in Florida
HILO, Hawaii (AP) — The Latest on tropical weather systems threatening Hawaii and the Southeast (all times Hawaii local):
- Judge closes hearing in Charleston church shooting trial
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — A hearing on suppressing evidence in the Charleston church shooting trial will be closed because an open hearing could compromise Dylann Roof's right to a fair trial, a federal judge ruled Wednesday.
- Justices: No reimbursement needed when cops damage property
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina isn't required to reimburse private property owners for damage by law officers doing their jobs, the state Supreme Court ruled Wednesday.
- Officials: Woman fleeing arrest ran over deputy with car
GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) — A woman has been charged with running over a South Carolina sheriff's deputy with her car while trying to escape arrest.