- For GOP, tax bill's most visible win may be averting failure
WASHINGTON (AP) — Despite the sheer size and society-spanning impact of the $1.5 trillion tax overhaul, the quickest and most potent political victory that Republicans would savor by pushing the bill through Congress next week may be what it averts: another big GOP legislative crash in the age of Trump.
- 'This is happening': GOP revels in all-but-certain tax deal
WASHINGTON (AP) — Republicans working to execute their first major legislative achievement of Donald Trump's presidency appear to have secured the votes to pass a massive tax overhaul that Trump hoped to present to the American people for Christmas.
- AP-NORC Poll: 52 percent say country worse off under Trump
WASHINGTON (AP) — Americans are painting a pessimistic view of the country and President Donald Trump as 2017 comes to a close.
- After Alabama, abortion may be backseat issue in 2018 races
ATLANTA (AP) — Alabama, one of the most conservative states in the country, with one of the most evangelical electorates, is sending an abortion-rights supporter to the U.S. Senate, despite GOP efforts to paint Democrat Doug Jones as an unacceptable extremist on the issue.
- Vatican issues new rules for relics in saint-making process
VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican's saint-making office has updated its rules governing the use of relics for would-be saints, issuing detailed new guidelines Saturday that govern how body parts and cremated remains are to be obtained, transferred and protected for eventual veneration.
- Ex-wife of Lorenzen Wright charged with murder in 2010 death
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — The ex-wife of former NBA player Lorenzen Wright has been charged in his slaying, more than seven years after his body was found in a field in his hometown of Memphis.
- Lindsey Vonn takes WCup super-G race, 1st win of season
VAL D'ISERE, France (AP) — With her father proudly watching from the bottom of the slope, Lindsey Vonn sped to an emotional win in a World Cup super-G race on Saturday.
- Home run coaching hires hard to make from shallow pool
Making the home run hire seems to be more difficult than ever when it comes to college football coaches.
- Panthers owner under investigation for workplace misconduct
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The Carolina Panthers founder and owner Jerry Richardson is under investigation for allegations of workplace misconduct.
- Former on-air personality says ESPN was hostile workplace
BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) — A former ESPN personality is accusing the network of trying to silence her and other women who assert they were subjected to a sexually hostile work environment.