- Philippines gets 1st fighter jets in a decade amid sea feud
CLARK AIR BASE, Philippines (AP) — The Philippines on Saturday took delivery of two Korean-made fighter jets — the country's first supersonic combat aircraft in a decade — as it strengthens its underfunded military amid an escalating territorial feud with China.
- Maldives opposition set to regroup for 2nd night of protests
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) — The Maldives' opposition on Saturday vowed to regroup for a second night of demonstrations hours after police broke up a planned 72-hour protest demanding the release of the country's ex-president and other political leaders.
- Suicide attack aimed at Afghan official kills guard
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Afghanistan's election commission says one of its officials escaped unharmed after a suicide bomber targeted his vehicle in the capital, Kabul, killing his bodyguard and wounding his driver.
- Australian Christmas tree sets record with 518,838 lights
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — An Australian set his third Christmas-themed world record in as many years Friday by illuminating a tree in downtown Canberra with 518,838 twinkling lights.
- Maldives police break up protest for ex-president's release
MALE, Maldives (AP) — Maldives police on Friday broke up an opposition protest demanding the release of the country's former president, other jailed politicians and activists.