- Surfer is third Australian shark attack victim in a month
SYDNEY (AP) — A surfer sustained minor injuries on Monday in the third shark attack off New South Wales state north of Sydney in a month, a witness said.
- Duterte: Filipinos 'may' be able to return to disputed shoal
MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said Sunday that Filipino fishermen "may" be able to return to the Chinese-held Scarborough Shoal in a few days after he discussed the territorial rift with Chinese leaders, but he did not say whether China imposed conditions.
- 2 explosions hit Japanese city, killing 1; suicide suspected
TOKYO (AP) — Two apparent explosions hit the Japanese city of Utsunomiya back-to-back Sunday, killing one person and injuring three others in what police are viewing as a possible suicide.
- Report shows increase in Afghanistan opium poppy cultivation
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Afghanistan saw an increase of 10 percent in opium poppy cultivation and 91 percent decrease in eradication across the country, according to a new joint survey released Sunday by the UN and Afghan government.
- Junko Tabei, 1st woman to climb Everest, dies at 77
TOKYO (AP) — The first woman to climb Mount Everest didn't stop there.