- AP PHOTOS: Ganges overflows its banks in Indian holy town
VARANASI, India (AP) — As the mighty Ganges River overflowed its banks this past week following heavy monsoon rains, large parts of the Hindu holy town of Varanasi were submerged by floodwaters, keeping away thousands of devotees.
- Indian police arrest key Kashmiri separatist leader
SRINAGAR, India (AP) — Police in the Indian-controlled portion of Kashmir said Saturday that they have arrested one of the key separatist leaders spearheading protests against Indian rule in the disputed region.
- North Korean Olympic athletes return to low-key welcome home
PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) — Members of North Korea's Olympic team returned home on Saturday, greeted by a small crowd of family and friends.
- N. Korea threatens to fire at US, S. Korea troops' lights
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea on Saturday threatened to aim fire at the lighting equipment used by "provocative" American and South Korean troops at a truce village inside the Demilitarized Zone that divides the two Koreas.
- China says school condemned in TV pollution report is safe
BEIJING (AP) — Investigators in eastern China said they have not found high levels of pollution around a school where an explosive state television report in April said hundreds of kids had fallen sick with illnesses including leukemia.