- AP source: Padres, Benoit agree to 2-year deal
SAN DIEGO (AP) — The San Diego Padres have agreed with former Detroit Tigers closer Joaquin Benoit on a $15.5 million, two-year contract, a person familiar with the situation said Wednesday.
- MLB average salary up 5.4 percent to $3.39 million
NEW YORK (AP) — While the New York Yankees set another salary record, the Houston Astros had the lowest average in the major leagues in 14 years and the attention of the players' union.
- APNewsBreak: Yankees hit with $28M luxury tax
NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Yankees were hit with a $28 million luxury tax bill, pushing their total past the $250 million mark since the penalty began in 2003.
- AP source: Orioles, Balfour agree to 2-year deal
BALTIMORE (AP) — Two weeks after trading their closer to Oakland, the Baltimore Orioles agreed to a two-year, $15 million contract with former Athletics closer Grant Balfour on Tuesday, according to a person familiar with the deal.
- Tanaka says he wants to pursue career in MLB
TOKYO (AP) — Pitcher Masahiro Tanaka wants to move to Major League Baseball next season but his Japanese team doesn't want to let him go.