- Nationals announce deal with free-agent catcher Matt Wieters
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Matt Wieters said he managed to cut his left wrist severely by breaking a five-gallon glass water container in his garage on Nov. 1, delaying his offseason preparation — and, he thinks, his chance to find a deal in free agency.
- Cubs closer Wade Davis reunited with manager Joe Maddon
MESA, Ariz. (AP) — Wade Davis was a promising starting pitcher when he made his major league debut for Joe Maddon and the Tampa Bay Rays almost eight years ago. Then he was a reliever, and then a starter again and then a reliever.
- AP study: 113 percent average raise in baseball arbitration
NEW YORK (AP) — San Diego Padres first baseman Wil Myers landed the biggest raise of all the hefty salary increases in arbitration.
- Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Pete Rose is on the ballot for the Philadelphia Phillies' wall of fame, his first association with the team since he was banned from baseball in 1989.
- Column: Baseball should get serious about speeding up games
KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) — There are all sorts of ways to give baseball a much-needed boost of speed.