- AP PHOTOS: Shantytown tours offer different view of Peru
LIMA, Peru (AP) — Shacks cling precariously to sandy hillsides. The flat roofs of board-and-tin hovels stretch as far as the eye can see on treeless moonscapes. Humble meals are served on battered plates.
- Maradona urges Argentines to leave Messi alone over quitting
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — Soccer great Diego Maradona is urging fellow Argentines to leave Lionel Messi alone over the current star's decision to retire from Argentina's national team following its loss to Chile in the Copa America championship match.
- Clashes rage in Rio as police try to capture drug trafficker
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Police attempts to recapture a drug trafficker who escaped from a Brazilian hospital have led to more than a week of deadly gunbattles in the slums of Rio de Janeiro, which is hosting the Olympics in August.
- Haiti's bickering lawmakers avoid vote on interim leader
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Haiti's fragmented Parliament failed again Wednesday to decide what to do about the caretaker president whose term has expired but remains in office in the absence of a vote resolving the latest leadership disorder.
- Suriname president acts to again avoid trial in 1982 deaths
PARAMARIBO, Suriname (AP) — President Desi Bouterse sought again Wednesday to prevent authorities from putting him back on trial for the abduction and summary execution of 15 political opponents when he was the military dictator of this South American nation.