- Thousands flee Syria's Aleppo as Assad nears victory
BEIRUT (AP) — Some 50,000 civilians have fled eastern Aleppo over the past two days in a "constant stream," Russia said Saturday, as Syrian government forces close in on the last pocket of opposition control in the northern city.
- The Latest: IS says it shot down Syrian jet near Palmyra
BEIRUT (AP) — The Latest on the Syrian conflict (all times local):
- Iraq sends reinforcements to eastern Mosul after IS attack
MAKHMOUR, Iraq (AP) — An Iraqi commander says reinforcements have been sent to eastern Mosul after a major Islamic State counterattack drove troops back last week, further slowing a nearly two-month-old offensive to retake the city.
- Assad relies on foreign fighters in push to retake Aleppo
ALEPPO, Syria (AP) — Syria's President Bashar Assad is on the verge of recapturing all of Aleppo from rebels, but the victory won't be his alone. The battle for Syria's largest city has attracted thousands of foreign forces backing Assad — including Russian soldiers and Shiite fighters from Iran, Lebanon, Iraq and Afghanistan.
- British foreign secretary avoids controversy in Bahrain talk
MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) — Britain's outspoken foreign secretary has stayed away from controversy in a speech to Mideast leaders after earlier criticizing ally Saudi Arabia.