- Kurdish-led Syrian forces report Turkish air raids on bases
BEIRUT (AP) — Kurdish-led forces in northern Syria say Turkish airstrikes hit bases and residential areas on Saturday near Jarablus, a town seized by Turkey-backed rebels earlier this week.
- Fire in Iranian mental hospital kills 1, wounds 35
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iranian state media says a fire in a mental hospital has killed one person and wounded 35.
- Egypt court orders release of lawyer who defied president
CAIRO (AP) — An Egyptian court has ordered the release of a rights lawyer who had been held without charge in solitary confinement for over 100 days after defying President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi.
- New Tunisian government approved, must fix economy
TUNIS, Tunisia (AP) — Tunisia's Parliament has approved 41-year-old Youssef Chahed as prime minister along with a new government focused on turning around the economy and fighting terrorism.
- Mosul fight is already redrawing the map of northern Iraq
QARQASHAH, Iraq (AP) — In the buildup to a long-awaited offensive on the city of Mosul, Kurdish forces are seizing new territory in northern Iraq that they say will become part of their autonomous region. The moves are further straining relations between the Kurds and the Baghdad government and Shiite militias, all ostensibly allies in the fight against the Islamic State group.