- Biden warns Europe against Russian energy reliance
HELSINKI (AP) — U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has cautioned Europe against a new natural gas pipeline planned to stretch from Russia to Germany, saying it "looks like a fairly bad deal" for Europe because it further increases its energy dependency on Moscow.
- Nuns, priest and past quake survivor escape death in Italy
AMATRICE, Italy (AP) — Among the survivors of Wednesday's devastating earthquake in central Italy were nuns, a priest and survivors of previous quakes. Some saw their houses collapse into debris and dust, while the homes of others are still standing but deemed unsafe.
- UN rights chief seeks international probe of Yemen violence
GENEVA (AP) — The U.N. human rights chief on Thursday called for an international investigation of rights abuses and violence in Yemen's civil war, which has killed thousands of people, as he insisted that a domestic panel set up to look into violations has not been up to the task.
- Ashes of Polish Battle of Britain ace return home for burial
WARSAW, Poland (AP) — The ashes of Polish fighter ace Capt. Kazimierz Sporny, who is credited with downing at least five enemy planes in the World War II Battle of Britain, have been brought from London to western Poland for a military burial.
- The Latest: UN seeks improvements in Greek refugee camps
BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — The Latest on Europe's migration crisis (all times local):