- The Latest: Turkey sends 300 more troops to Syria border
BEIRUT (AP) — The Latest on the conflict in Syria (all times local):
- John Glenn, the 1st American to orbit Earth, has died at 95
WASHINGTON (AP) — John Glenn, whose 1962 flight as the first U.S. astronaut to orbit the Earth made him an all-American hero and propelled him to a long career in the U.S. Senate, died Thursday. The last survivor of the original Mercury 7 astronauts was 95.
- Trump meets with Ohio State victims, taking on somber duty
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — In the midst of his Cabinet deliberations, President-elect Donald Trump flew to Ohio Thursday to meet with victims and families after the latest U.S. outbreak of violence, a somber duty that became all too familiar to his predecessor.
- Chief of staff Priebus? Some Trump loyalists still dubious
WASHINGTON (AP) — When President-elect Donald Trump tapped Reince Priebus as his chief of staff, Republican leaders cheered the prospect of a close ally having a top White House job.
- Russia says Aleppo combat suspended, residents say no let-up
BEIRUT (AP) — Russia said the Syrian army was suspending combat operations in Aleppo late Thursday to allow for the evacuation of civilians from besieged rebel-held neighborhoods, but residents and fighters reported no let-up in the bombing and shelling campaign on the opposition's ever-shrinking enclave.
- Winners, losers and trends at baseball's winter meetings
OXON HILL, Md. (AP) — All-Star closers Aroldis Chapman, Mark Melancon and Wade Davis moved to different bullpens. Chris Sale boosted a big rotation in Boston. And the Washington Nationals got their fans talking — a lot.
- Full circle: RG3 back as Browns starting quarterback
BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Three months later, Robert Griffin III is starting anew with the Browns.
- Raiders missing 3 starters to injury for showdown in KC
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Raiders were missing three starters for their AFC West showdown Thursday night against the Chiefs after offensive lineman Kelechi Osemele was a late scratch due to an illness.
- Police investigating racist graffiti in Giants player's home
MOONACHIE, N.J. (AP) — Police are investigating a break-in and the scrawling of racist graffiti at the New Jersey home of a New York Giants player.
- AP source: Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years
OXON HILL, Md. (AP) — Aroldis Chapman found a spot in a most familiar bullpen — a very rich spot, too.