- Trump, amid combative start, pledges to rise to moment
WASHINGTON (AP) — After a combative start to his presidency, Donald Trump delivered a more unifying message Sunday and sought to reassure Americans he was ready to begin governing a divided nation.
- More deaths reported after 16 die amid Southeast tornadoes
ADEL, Ga. (AP) — Emergency responders rushed to answer new reports of deaths and injuries Sunday evening in southern Georgia as violent storms already blamed for killing 16 people in the Southeast continued to inflict destruction.
- Israeli leader accepts invitation from Trump to visit US
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's prime minister on Sunday accepted an invitation to visit the White House next month in hopes of forging a "common vision" for the region with President Donald Trump that could include expanded settlement construction on occupied territories and a tougher policy toward Iran.
- Avalanche survivors: sipping tea, then world crashed down
FARINDOLA, Italy (AP) — Some of the lucky ones were sipping hot tea near the fireplace in their mountain resort hotel, waiting for snowplows to arrive so they could finally go home, after a winter holiday made nerve-wracking by a day of ground-shaking earthquakes and heavy snowfall.
- Gambia's ex-leader made off with millions, luxury cars
BANJUL, Gambia (AP) — Exiled Gambian ruler Yahya Jammeh stole millions of dollars in his final weeks in power, plundering the state coffers and shipping out luxury vehicles by cargo plane, a special adviser for the new president said Sunday.
- Super Falcons: Atlanta routs Packers 44-21 for NFC title
ATLANTA (AP) — Matt Ryan and Julio Jones teamed up for a dominant playoff performance, and the Atlanta Falcons ignored all those ghosts from the last half-century.
- The Latest: Steelers moving the ball, but missing chances
The Latest on the NFL conference championship games (all times Eastern):
- Royals' Ventura killed in car crash in Dominican Republic
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Yordano Ventura quit school as a teenager so he could begin working a construction job to help his family make ends meet, laboring day after day in the hot sun of the Dominican Republic.
- Current, former major leaguers die in Dominican crashes
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — Kansas City Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura and former major leaguer Andy Marte died in separate traffic accidents early Sunday in their native Dominican Republic.
- Some notable deaths of active pro baseball players
A look at some of the notable deaths of active pro baseball players in recent years: