- Pope asserts marriage is forever at start of family meeting
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis opened a divisive meeting of the world's bishops on family issues Sunday by forcefully asserting that marriage is an indissoluble bond between man and woman. But he said the church doesn't judge and must "seek out and care for hurting couples with the balm of acceptance and mercy."
- Israel bars Palestinians from Jerusalem's Old City
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli police took the unprecedented step of preventing Palestinian residents of Jerusalem from entering the walled Old City on Sunday after two Palestinian stabbing attacks against Israelis.
- Survivor: Gunman spared 'lucky one' to give police message
ROSEBURG, Ore. (AP) — The gunman who opened fire in an Oregon college shot one classmate after saying he could save her life by begging, and others were killed after being told to crawl across the floor, according to relatives of students in the classroom.
- Gusty wind may add to weather risks on soggy East Coast
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Flooding from days of record-setting rain along the heavily populated East Coast washed out bridges and homes and forecasters warned wind gusts topping 35 mph could down trees and power lines across the Carolinas and Virginia in coming hours.
- Doctors Without Borders leaves Afghan city after airstrike
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — International medical charity Doctors Without Borders said on Sunday it has withdrawn from the northern Afghan city of Kunduz after a deadly airstrike destroyed its hospital, killing 19 people.
- Scherzer throws his 2nd no-hitter this year, Nats sweep Mets
NEW YORK (AP) — Max Scherzer says he can get even better.
- Not much solved on Sort 'em Out Saturday
A month before the first College Football Playoff selection committee rankings, the No. 1 team in the country is an open-ended question.
- Walking the Americas: Woman preps for 5-year trek
SMITHVILLE, Mo. (AP) — The night before Bethany Hughes started on the Pacific Crest Trail, a 2,650-mile hike from Mexico to Canada, she was so wired that she kept rifling through her bags.
- No. 12 Clemson holds off No. 6 Notre Dame 24-22
CLEMSON, S.C. (AP) — Clemson coach Dabo Swinney learned plenty about his 12th-ranked Tigers on Saturday night, qualities he believes make them hard to beat.
- Swamp Shocker! No. 25 Florida upsets No. 3 Mississippi 38-10
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Will Grier was sick all right.