- Pope urges peace while visiting C. African Republic mosque
BANGUI, Central African Republic (AP) — Pope Francis made a historic visit to the last remaining Muslim neighborhood in Central African Republic's capital Monday, a move that almost immediately opened up a part of the divided city troubled for months by retaliatory violence between Muslim and Christian militias.
- Activists call on Gambia gov't to release environmentalists
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Rights groups called on Gambia's government on Monday to release 33 environmental activists who were detained more than a week ago after staging a protest against sand mining in their coastal village.
- Kenyan university: 1 dead during stampede over drill
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — A drill to test terrorism preparedness at a leading Kenyan university led to a stampede in which one person died and 20 others were injured, the institution said Monday.
- Tax bill sparks brawls in Algeria's parliament
ALGIERS, Algeria (AP) — A new finance bill in Algeria is dividing lawmakers so much it has sparked exchanges of insults and brawls on the parliament floor.
- The Latest: Pope Francis wraps up Africa trip
BANGUI, Central African Republic (AP) — The latest on Pope Francis' first trip to Africa. (All times local.)
Latest Africa Headlines