- Boko Haram attacks northeastern Nigerian city, scores killed
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — In fierce fighting Sunday that killed more than 200 combatants, Nigerian troops clashed with Islamic extremists who attacked Maiduguri, the biggest city in northeastern Nigeria, from three fronts.
- Kerry in Nigeria to warn against postelection violence
LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — In a rare high-level visit to Africa's most populous country, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday urged Nigeria's leading presidential candidates to refrain from fomenting violence after next month's vote, and he condemned savage attacks by Boko Haram, an al-Qaida-linked insurgency.
- Zambia: Edgar Lungu sworn in as new president
LUSAKA, Zambia (AP) — Edgar Lungu was sworn in as Zambia's new president Sunday.
- Congo lawmakers approve revised electoral law after protests
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — Lawmakers in Congo have approved a new version of the country's electoral law after scrapping a provision that opposition leaders said was intended to prolong the president's time in power.
- South Africa shaken by anti-immigrant riots
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — South African authorities have re-established order — for now — in Soweto and other Johannesburg townships, after a week of looting of foreign-owned shops and violence in which four people were killed.
Latest Africa Headlines