- As Nigeria celebrates Buhari's stunning win, challenges loom
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — As Nigerians celebrated the electrifying victory Wednesday that returned one of its harshest former dictators to power, sobering challenges confront Muhammadu Buhari, from an Islamic insurgency that has killed thousands to widespread poverty and graft.
- Amnesty: Gambia sentences 3 to death for attempted coup
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — A human rights group says Gambia has sentenced three soldiers to death after a secret trial in which they were convicted of participating in an attempted coup.
- Old colonial statues are in the crosshairs in South Africa
CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — It began with a container of excrement.
- Nigerian civic groups suggest rigging in election
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Hundreds of Nigerian civil societies say discrepancies in election tallies suggest the turnout was inflated in defeated President Goodluck Jonathan's southern strongholds.
- Buhari wins in Nigeria, defeating Goodluck Jonathan
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Amid anger over an Islamic insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives, Nigerians threw out the incumbent and elected a 72-year-old former military dictator in a historic transfer of power officially announced early Wednesday following the nation's most hotly contested election ever.
Latest Africa Headlines