- Scientists squabble while Africa's only penguins perish
CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — They're cute, knee-high, they bray like donkeys and are a tourist attraction near Cape Town. But African Penguins — the continent's only species of the flightless bird — are at risk of extinction.
- Smoke grounds aircraft battling some Washington wildfires
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — Smoke from big wildfires burning east of the Cascade Range grounded helicopters and airplanes that have been battling the flames in Washington state.
- Chinese stock index jumps 5.3 percent as Asian stocks rise
BEIJING (AP) — China's main stock index surged 5.3 percent Thursday, its biggest gain in eight weeks, as markets across Asia advanced in the wake of Wall Street's rebound, giving investors some relief after gut-wrenching global losses.
- Fire crews battle smoky conditions, flames in Washington
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — Smoke from big wildfires burning east of the Cascade Range hurt air quality Wednesday and hampered efforts by crews battling the flames in Washington state.
- Alleged Syrian war recruiter loses Sydney court challenge
SYDNEY (AP) — A Sydney man accused of recruiting foreign fighters to battle the Syrian regime lost a court challenge on Thursday to the Australian law that he was charged with breaking.
Latest Oceana Headlines