- MLB average salary exceeds $3.8 million
NEW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball's average salary shot up to more than $3.8 million this year following the steepest rise in more than a decade, putting big leaguers on track to top the $4 million barrier for the first time in 2015.
- LJ Mazzilli, son of Lee, gets 50-game drug ban
NEW YORK (AP) — The Mets' L.J. Mazzilli, a son of former major league All-Star and manager Lee Mazzilli, was suspended for 50 games Tuesday under baseball's minor league drug program following a second positive drug test.
- Phil Hughes, Twins agree to $58M, 5-year contract
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Phil Hughes finished his first season in Minnesota one out shy of a $500,000 bonus. His new deal with the Twins more than takes care of that.
- Sergio Romo finalizes $15M, 2-year deal with Giants
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Sergio Romo tested free agency, had some offers and ultimately decided he wanted to stay put in San Francisco pitching for the only team he has known.
- Giants second baseman Scutaro has back surgery
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — San Francisco Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro underwent back surgery that could end his career.
Latest Baseball Headlines