- A look at player of the year candidates in men's hoops
The college basketball regular season has about six weeks left and AP has a look at player of the year candidates. Like last season, there are a couple of front-runners and a handful of players who could make a run at the award with a strong finish. Here's the way it's shaping up as the season heads toward the final stretch:
- Forte, Nash lead Oklahoma St. past No. 20 Baylor
STILLWATER, Okla. (AP) — Phil Forte scored 16 points and Le'Bryan Nash added 13 to help Oklahoma State defeat No. 20 Baylor 64-53 on Tuesday night.
- No. 17 Mountaineers turn up pressure, throttle K-State 65-59
MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) — Tarik Phillip matched a career-high 12 points and West Virginia, relying on its high-pressure defense, shut down Kansas State for a 65-59 victory Tuesday night.
- Xavier completes sweep of No. 21 Georgetown, 66-53
WASHINGTON (AP) — Myles Davis scored 19 points in his third start of the season, and Xavier held No. 21 Georgetown without a field goal for more than 11 minutes in the first half Tuesday night in a 66-53 victory that completed a sweep of the Hoyas.
- Larrier, No. 14 VCU overwhelm George Washington, 72-48
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Freshman Terry Larrier scored 15 points and No. 14 VCU pulled away with a 16-2 run early in the second half to beat George Washington 72-48 on Tuesday night for its 12th consecutive victory.
- No. 3 Baylor women win 18th in row, 89-67 at TCU
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — Nina Davis had 24 points and 11 rebounds as No. 3 Baylor stretched its winning streak to 18 in a row with an 89-67 victory at TCU on Tuesday night.
- No. 18 Mississippi St. women beat Auburn for 21st win, 59-48
AUBURN, Ala. (AP) — Victoria Vivians had 19 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to help No. 18 Mississippi State beat Auburn 59-48 on Monday night for its second straight road win.
- No. 20 Iowa women rally, beat No. 15 Nebraska 78-72 in OT
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Ally Disterhoft scored all 20 of her points in the second half and overtime to lead No. 20 Iowa to its first victory against No. 15 Nebraska in nine tries as a Big Ten opponent, 78-72 on Monday.
- Wilson's 18 lead No. 1 South Carolina to 79-61 victory
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina showed again how those waiting for the Gamecocks to crack under the pressure of No. 1 might have a while to go.
- No. 25 Chattanooga women enter poll, hold down Samford 49-32
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) — Keiana Gilbert scored 14 points to help No. 25 Chattanooga beat Samford 49-32 on Monday for its 14th consecutive victory.