- Iraq sends reinforcements to eastern Mosul after IS attack
MAKHMOUR, Iraq (AP) — An Iraqi commander says reinforcements have been sent to eastern Mosul after a major Islamic State counterattack drove troops back last week, further slowing a nearly two-month-old offensive to retake the city.
- Spain to send more soldiers to help Iraq forces combat IS
MADRID (AP) — Spain says it plans to send an additional 150 soldiers and police to Iraq to help train Iraqi security forces combatting the Islamic State group.
- Iraqi officials: Separate bombings kill 10 people in Baghdad
BAGHDAD (AP) — Separate bombings in the Iraqi capital killed 10 people and wounded another 22 on Friday, according to Iraqi officials.
- Iraq prepares for new fight against post-Mosul IS
BAGHDAD (AP) — With the Islamic State group's "caliphate" seemingly nearing its downfall in Iraq, the country's security agencies are preparing for a different fight against the militants, shifting away from ground offensives to a focus on intelligence work, surgical airstrikes and a higher level of cooperation with the West.
- A lethal mistake leads to a harrowing ambush in Iraq's Mosul
IRBIL, Iraq (AP) — As Iraqi forces advanced toward the al-Salam hospital in Mosul earlier this week, encountering only light resistance from Islamic State fighters, commanders decided to seize the facility instead of sweeping the neighborhoods along the road leading to it.
Latest Iraq Headlines