- Peres, remembered for tireless peace efforts, laid to rest
JERUSALEM (AP) — Shimon Peres was laid to rest Friday by dozens of world leaders who praised Israel's former president and prime minister for pursuing peace with an indefatigable spirit and optimism, even though his vision of a "new Middle East" was never fulfilled.
- Syrian monitor: Russian airstrikes killed 9,300 in past year
BEIRUT (AP) — A year of Russian airstrikes on areas outside government control in Syria have killed more than 9,000 people, displaced tens of thousands and caused widespread destruction, an opposition monitoring group said Friday.
- Gunmen assassinate a senior intelligence official in Yemen
SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Yemeni security officials say that suspected militants have gunned down a senior security official in the southern city of Aden.
- Opposition leader: Turkey is misusing its emergency powers
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's opposition leader accused the government on Friday of using emergency powers from the aftermath of a failed coup to clamp down on dissenting voices, as authorities ordered 12 more news organizations to shut down for alleged threats to national security.
- The Latest: Activists: Aleppo airstrikes kill at least 12
BEIRUT (AP) — The Latest on Syria (all times local):
Latest Mideast News