- Shimon Peres, ex-Israeli president and PM, dies at 93
JERUSALEM (AP) — Shimon Peres, a former Israeli president and prime minister, whose life story mirrored that of the Jewish state and who was celebrated around the world as a Nobel Prize-winning visionary who pushed his country toward peace, died early Wednesday. He was 93.
- The Latest: Hamas says it's happy about Shimon Peres' death
JERUSALEM (AP) — The Latest on the death of former Israeli President and Prime Minister Shimon Peres (all times local):
- Medical officials: airstrikes knock out 2 Aleppo hospitals
BEIRUT (AP) — Medical officials say airstrikes have severely damaged two hospitals in eastern rebel-held Aleppo, leading to the death of two seriously ill patients.
- The Latest: Pope Francis condemns Syria bombing
BEIRUT (AP) — The Latest on the civil war in Syria (all times local):
- Shimon Peres witnessed Israel's history, and shaped it
JERUSALEM (AP) — At every corner of Israel's tumultuous history, Shimon Peres was there.
- World leaders mourn Peres, praise him as a man of peace
WASHINGTON (AP) — Current and former world leaders mourned the passing of Shimon Peres early Wednesday, praising him as a patriot, visionary statesman and man of principle who was deeply committed to pursuing peace in a region that has mostly eluded it.
- Reaction to the death of ex-Israeli President Shimon Peres
Quotes from around the world after the death of former Israeli President Shimon Peres, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate and elder statesman of Israeli politics, at age 93.
- Afghan official: 13 civilians killed in airstrike on house
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — At least 13 civilians were killed in an airstrike that hit a residential building in a volatile district of eastern Nangarhar province early Wednesday, an Afghan official said.
- Libyan general in east rejects UN-backed government
BENGHAZI, Libya (AP) — A powerful Libyan general whose forces recently captured several key oil facilities has rejected a U.N.-brokered government and said the country would be better served by a leader with "high-level military experience."
- Massive typhoon hits eastern China, Taiwan, killing 5
BEIJING (AP) — A massive typhoon left one person dead in eastern China on Wednesday, a day after killing four and injuring 260 in Taiwan.