- Putin orders sanctions against Turkey after downing of jet
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin on Saturday called for sanctions against Turkey, following the downing this week by Turkey of a Russian warplane.
- Pope to visit Central African Republic's divided capital
BANGUI, Central African Republic (AP) — Georgette Dossio mourns a son whose body she can never bury. Sitting on the dirt under a tent of scrap wood and tarp, she is comforted by her neighbors at the airport displaced-persons camp where she has lived for nearly two years.
- Pope honors Ugandan Christian martyrs as example of faith
NAMUGONGO, Uganda (AP) — Pope Francis on Saturday honored Uganda's 19th century Christian martyrs and encouraged its 21st century Christian youths during a day that saw nearly a half-million Ugandans turn out to see the pontiff before he heads to Central African Republic for the final leg of his African journey.
- Twin suicide bombings kill at least 5 in north Cameroon
YAOUNDE, Cameroon (AP) — Two female suicide bombers detonated their explosives in a town in north Cameroon, killing at least five people and injuring 12 others, a military official said Saturday.
- Hollande, activists gear up for critical climate talks
PARIS (AP) — French President Francois Hollande met with environmental groups Saturday, pushing for an ambitious global deal to reduce man-made emissions blamed for global warming — with emphasis on helping developing countries adapt to a changing world.
- The Latest: Macedonia: 18 officers injured in migrants clash
SKOPJE, Macedonia (AP) — The latest on the mass movement of asylum-seekers and others seeking refuge in Europe. All times local:
- Carson after tour: Syrian refugees don't want to come to US
AZRAQ REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan (AP) — After touring refugee camps in Jordan, Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson on Saturday suggested that camps should serve as a long-term solution for millions, while other refugees could be absorbed by Middle Eastern countries.
- Prominent human rights activist killed in attack in Turkey
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — A prominent lawyer and human rights defender, who faced a criminal charge for supporting Kurdish rebels, was killed Saturday in an attack in southeast Turkey in which a police officer also died, officials said.
- Kenya police: 2 Kenyans arrested for spying for Iran
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — Two Kenyans in police custody have admitted assisting Iranian state intelligence to plot attacks on western targets in Kenya, Kenya's police chief said Saturday.
- Migrants clash with Macedonian police on Greek border
IDOMENI, Greece (AP) — Migrants on the Greek-Macedonian border attacked police with stones Saturday, enraged by the sight of Macedonian authorities erecting a fence along the border and an accident that injured a young Moroccan man.