- America celebrates Independence Day with fireworks, parades
July 5, 20152:44 AM ET
Americans celebrated 239 years as an independent nation on Saturday with extravagant fireworks displays, rock and classical concerts and parades both big and small. Here were some highlights of Independence Day festivities around the nation:
- 2 people dead, 3 missing after boat capsizes in Ohio River
July 5, 20157:33 AM ET
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Kentucky authorities say two people have been killed and three remain missing after the pontoon boat they were riding in hit the Clark Memorial Bridge and capsized in the Ohio River.
- At least 14 hurt after deck collapse at North Carolina beach
July 5, 20152:15 AM ET
EMERALD ISLE, N.C. (AP) — A deck collapsed at a North Carolina beach house as a family got set to take a group photo, leaving at least 14 people injured with two of those in critical condition, authorities said.
- 320-acre wildfire threatens homes in Northern California
July 5, 20155:13 AM ET
VACAVILLE, Calif. (AP) — A wildfire that has burned more than 320 acres is threatening homes in a Northern California city.
- Farmers eager for drones, but most can't legally fly them
July 5, 20158:23 AM ET
CORDOVA, Md. (AP) — Mike Geske wants a drone.
- Slain woman's parents focused on healing, not sanctuary law
July 4, 20157:49 PM ET
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The parents of a woman killed at a San Francisco pier say they are focused on healing and not on the fact that the man accused of shooting her has been deported five times.
- Forgiveness of Charleston church shooter prompts discussion
July 4, 20158:51 AM ET
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Under an outdoor tent a few blocks from Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, Sharon Simmons paused while cleaning up from the previous night's revival to ponder the idea of forgiving the white man accused of killing nine of the historic black church's members, including the pastor.
- Diana Douglas, 1st wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
July 4, 20156:29 PM ET
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Diana Douglas, the first wife of Kirk Douglas and mother of Michael Douglas, died Saturday in Los Angeles. She was 92.
- 66 riders safely evacuated after 400-foot Ferris wheel stops
July 4, 20154:45 PM ET
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — The largest Ferris wheel on the East Coast reopened Saturday, one day after 66 riders were stranded on The Orlando Eye and had to be evacuated from the towering 400-foot attraction.
- A year on, children caught on border struggle to stay, adapt
July 4, 20154:09 PM ET
LOS ANGELES (AP) — At 1-year-old, a wide-eyed, restless Joshua Tinoco faces the prospect of deportation to his native Honduras, one of tens of thousands of children who arrived at the U.S.-Mexico border last year.